My previous post was on agile manifesto – A natural bridge is now to introduce Design Thinking a great approach I had the opportunity to test with my team on different projects in the past.
In a nutshell what is the design thinking ?
Design thinking is an approach that was developed by Tim Brown from IDEO.
This approach includes methodology, tool and sensitivity that are used by designers to innovate.
– OK, but what’s in it for me as I am not a designer but a manager?
As a manager this approach allows cross-functional teams to innovate, matching:
1. User expectations;
2. Technological feasibility;
3. Economical reality.
– So what ?
It allows to innovate and create value for my organisation. Start to be interesting isn’t it? It eases disruptive innovation / incremental innovation
– OK another buzzword: disruptive innovation !
Let’s parking lot innovation term for a minute, we’ll get there.
The design thinking is a methodology of definition and transformation of opportunity in value creation. A user centric approach to answer real user needs. ie Steve jobs understood when creating the iPad that users didn’t need a keyboard.
– What is the methodology ?
1. Empathize: In order to innovate the Designer needs to be emphatic. As a Designer let’s put yourself in client’s shoes. Watch client’s needs instead of asking him. By definition a client doesn’t know what he wants / needs until the solution or the product exists. User Experience is the heart of definition of Empathy.
2. Define: Based on user feed-backs and insight, the designer defines the issues or problem we need to solve on behalf of the customers. This is a critical moment as we don’t want to miss the target, this step will be used to fuel the next steps.
3. Ideate: The Manager / Designer seats with his team and start to brainstorm on possible answers to user needs. All ideas are valid until their are filtered. Time for creativity and craziness – no limits !
4. Prototype: The Designer prototypes in order to provide an early solution in hands of users (Does this ring a bell with my previous post – on Agility
Are you « Masigners » I(Manager + Designer)? Have been able to apply this approach in your organization ?
– Sounds Great ! But what about disruptive innovation ?
This will be part of my next post – Stay Tune !
[contact-form-7 id= »190″ title= »Formulaire de contact 1″]